Wednesday, July 8, 2015

What I've Been Up To

* Written on June 26th 2015*

Ankle Update
Well exactly two months have passed since I last wrote a blog. I am happy to report that my ankle is getting better poco a poco (little by little). My ankle is still a bit weak, and gets stiff in the mornings, but it’s doing much better. About two weeks after the paro ended I had a training to go to in Puerto Colombia (which is about two and a half hours away from my site). My ankle was still pretty bad at that point. I had an obvious limp, and had trouble walking down stairs without experiencing intense pain. The PCMO (Peace Corps Medical Officer) was going to be at the training that Friday, and I was trying to consider whether or not I should talk to her about my ankle. Part of me just thought that it would get better on its own. I also wanted to avoid having any serious medical interventions that might end up in “medical separation” aka having to go home for good early. I mentioned this to the PC director who seemed a bit appalled that I had yet to talk to the PCMO. She said something along the lines of “you have excellent health care at your disposal here, take advantage of it”—so I did. After a frustratingly round about Orthopedic appointment (that involved x-rays without protection vests *shudder*) I was given five day physical therapy prescription. This meant that, instead of going home, I was put up in the PC hotel (where PCVs stay when they have medical issues) for an extra week. Every day I had a physical therapy appointment with a very nice physical therapist. I was still in a significant amount of pain after five days, so I was given five more appointments. By this time I was going slightly insane. I had all of the creature comforts that I had grown accustomed to (wifi! Air conditioning! My own space! American fast food!). But I couldn’t do much more than be lazy in my room all day waiting for my next physical therapy appointment. After ten days (which was about 15 days away from site) I still didn’t see much improvement. The worrier in me thought that I would need surgery, which would inevitably lead to a foot amputation. But after spending literally four minutes in the doctor’s office, I was told that it would work itself out in a month. If it didn’t, I would have to come back for an injection (shudder). Thankfully it looks like that follow up appointment won’t be necessary.

Tech IST
As I mentioned before I recently had a training with one of my counterparts. This training was focused on brainstorming plans (between PCVs and counterparts) to bring back to site, and make improvements. It wasn’t necessarily focused on English as we were encouraged to discuss other problems we thought existed in the school/community. PCVs were informed that we had to choose a counterpart, and secure permission from the Rector/a (principal) for the teacher to be absent for a few days. Now I naively thought that this would be easy to do. What a silly thought. First I had to pick a counterpart to bring with me. There are four English teachers in my school, and I work with two of them. One of the counterpart’s is more motivated to work with me than the other (and that is putting it very lightly). My other counterpart views me as what PCVs refer to as, a “pronunciation parrot”. All she really wants me to do is pronounce words that she doesn’t know in English, than sit back down. Now at first I tried to fight this, and be more active in the classroom. Then I just realized that it wasn’t working. In addition she has no control over the behavior of the students, who typically are wild I the classroom. I came to terms with the fact that I would not overexert myself for someone who didn’t take me seriously (more on this in another blog post).
Basically I had to find a culturally sensitive way to invite one counterpart, knowing that the other one would inevitably find out. I’ve had people who know me well call me “blunt” and “insensitive” (which I think is just a misinterpretation of my straightforwardness lol), so you can imagine how difficult this was for me (not to mention while only speaking Spanish). I told my “better” counterpart Viraida that I “worked with her more” (which is a lie), so that it made more sense to bring her. She was elated and ready to go, but unsure of whether she would get permission. Typically our Rectora sends Catalina, who is the head of the English Department, to all PC events. She encouraged me to speak with the Rectora—I assumed this had to with her not wanting to “make waves”. As a foreigner it was probably easier for me to circumvent the bureaucracy that exists in my school. Seeing as my Rectora is literally never in the school, I was unsure how I would get a hold of her. I ended up emailing her (in formal Spanish!) explaining the situation as best as I could, while explicitly stating which counterpart I preferred to bring.
When I did not receive a reply from her, I emailed the PC office to see if they had received anything. I was told that the Rectora had chosen Catalina to come with me. Frustrated, I went back to Viraida and explained the situation to her. She was visibly disappointment, and ready to go with the flow and skip the training. I wasn’t about to let that happen. I sent another, more strongly worded, email to the Rectora. I also tracked her down in her office, and further explained why I wanted to bring Viraida. She finally relented and gave her permission, allowing her to take advantage of the training opportunity.
This is one of those things that I view as a mini-victory.
Community Class
In other news I have started to volunteer at a community English class. Rudulfo, a philosophy teacher at my school, is an avid English student. He speaks to me and the other volunteers all the time in English, and constantly thanks us for volunteering in his country. He’s a pretty nice guy and is only slightly creepy in the way I’ve found most, older Colombian men to be. He mentioned a few times that he works at night teaching English to adults in the community. I personally find this interesting as he is a Basic English speaker but I still find it admirable—and as my mother would say “one eyed man is King in blind man’s country”. After a few months hearing about this class I decided to show up. The school is very close to the plaza, and I’m surprised that I never noticed it before. It’s a really cute school and much smaller than my own school. I enjoyed meeting the students, and explaining why I was there. It was definitely nicer to interact with people closer to my age. Like always I was asked if I had a husband, boyfriend, or kids. I got the customary shocked look when I answered “no” to all three, while adding that I was completely happy (soltera y feliz!! Sin hijos y feliz!!). This is where the conversation got interesting. Rudulfo brought up that my marital/childless status was due to cultural differences (which isn’t necessarily true as there are married Americans my age with kids). He noted that this was a good cultural difference because there were too many young adults in the pueblo with several kids, and little education. That’s when the younger students all mentioned that they had children of their own. The 23 year old male students had two kids, and a girlfriend. A nineteen year old female student had one child, and all the older students had several kids. Now at this point I had to keep a straight face, because you know, cultural sensitivity is an important thing. I tried to explain that children drastically change the trajectory of your life, and I couldn’t handle that at this stage (which is the politically correct way of saying “kids ruin your life”). Then the 23 year old, which the straightest face, asked me “but children are blessing are they not”? To which I answered “yes they are, but they’re not the type of blessings I need right now”. Got to love cultural integration.

I’m currently on “summer” vacation until mid-July. I’ve started up a project at my school where a mural of the world map is painted on a wall. This map in particular will be color coordinated by most common language spoken. I hope that this allows students to learn a little bit about the world around them. Unfortunately not many of them know about life outside the pueblo. The map directions were a bit daunting, and I managed to screw up the pencil grid that would be later used to trace each country. I was working alongside eleventh graders that Catalina recruited. I successfully fought down the perfectionist delegator ( Word is telling me that this is not a word, but "one who delegates" is just so much more clunky) in me that was not happy about how lax they were being. This was compounded by the fact that I couldn’t delegate effectively in Spanish, which I’m sure diminished my authority in their eyes.

But anyway I’m taking this time to relax, and plan to visit some other volunteers. Can’t believe that I’m creeping toward the one year mark!

No comments:

Post a Comment