Saturday, March 7, 2015

6 Months Down 21 To Go

I have made it to the six month mark. It’s crazy to think that I have been living in Colombia for 6 months. This is officially the longest I have ever lived outside of the country. Like I’ve said before, time here is so funny. Some days I feel like I have been here for my whole life. Other days it seems like I was boarding the plane to Barranquilla just yesterday. Six months (and some change) ago I was sipping daiquiris on Miami Beach wondering what the next two years would be like. I was fresh out of college and still very unsure of what the future had in store for me. I said goodbye to my friends, family, and everything that I know with the hope that it would all be worth it. I’ve changed a lot since that night in August. Some changes are obvious while others are much harder to verbalize. To celebrate my six month PC mark, I have decided to highlight 6 ways that I have changed/grown.

Spanish Level
One of the more selfish reasons for my desire to serve in South America, was to gain Spanish fluency. To be bilingual in the US is an extremely valuable skill, especially if you have Spanish as a second language. I hoped that by living in Colombia for two years, I would be able to acquire that Spanish level. After living here for six months I think that I have to lower my expectations. I do not think I will be able to become fluent in Spanish, but I am sure I can gain proficiency. In my PC group there are several people who have studied ESL/EFL or studied language in some other form. They’ve explained the difference between fluency and proficiency several times, but I’m still not sure I quite understand it. I think they explained it like:
Fluency: To be able to speak a second language with equal fluidity as you do your primary language.
Proficiency: To be able to speak a second language very well. You are able to have day-to-day conversations in the second language. You are able to speak in a second language at a pace that is considered normal for conversations. However you are not as strong in the second language as you are your first.
If you studied languages and I got these definitions wrong please forgive me! I was a sociology and anthropology major in college, so I don’t have too much experience in that field. Anyway after realizing this difference I determined that I would more likely gain Spanish proficiency. I remember arriving in Barranquilla and freaking out when I had to take my initial Language Proficiency Interview (LPI). It was the interview that would determine what level of Spanish we had, and therefore how much we had to learn. For some reason I was overly confident in my Spanish skills (although I hadn’t actually used my Spanish in regular conversation since my tenth grade service trip to Oaxaca, Mexico). Then I took the LPI and realized how much I’d really forgotten. The LPI is set up like this:
-          The interviewer begins with basic Spanish questions to see how you respond
-          Judging from your response the interviewer can determine if to ask harder or easier questions
-          During the discussion, the interviewer is looking to see how complex the interviewee’s grammar and vocabulary is
-          When the interviewer believes that the interviewee has reached their Spanish capacity, the interview is ended
I don’t remember exactly what was discussed in my initial LPI. I do remember being asked to describe my room. I remembered that cama meant bed, but couldn’t describe much more than that. I said something like “uh, I have a bed. My walls are blue. I have a TV”…that’s it (lol). I probably only understood 30% of what people told me, and I was completely overwhelmed all of the time. Thanks to four hour daily Spanish classes my skills steadily increased. As of now I think I’m gaining proficiency, but have not reached it yet. I understand about 90% of what people say to me, and am usually able to respond quickly enough to keep up a conversation.

Weird Spanglish-isms
That brings me to point two. Having two languages in my head can get kind of weird. Sometimes I’ll catch myself using Spanish words as I’m thinking to myself. It’ll be something like “It’s Saturday so no hay agua (there is no water) entonces (so) I’ll have to do laundry on Sunday”. It’s really weird because I’m not trying to think in Spanish it just happens. Same with conversations. If I’m conversing with a native Spanish speaker in English, I’ll find myself slipping into Spanish. Usually the person is speaking to me only in English because they want to practice. However I always find myself reverting to Spanish then slipping back into English. It’s completely involuntary and I find it kind of cool actually. I’ve even had a few dreams where, only after waking up, do I realize were in half Spanish and half English. Other times I’ll be watching a show (side note: my family has DirectTV which allows you to change channels from Spanish to English) only to realize several minutes later that it’s in Spanish. It’s like my brain doesn’t register the language difference for a while. Sometimes (like now) I’ll be writing in English and find myself typing certain words phonetically/using words that sound like that word instead. For example if I mean to write: “I’ve been living here in Colombia for six months”. I’ll write: “I’ve been living hear in Colombia for six months”. It’s strange and sometimes I don’t catch the mistake for a while. I have no idea if/how that’s related to learning a new language (and just right then I almost typed realated instead of related). Basically I’m finding it much easier to slip from one language to another which I guess is a sign of language acquisition.
What I Eat
My diet has changed dramatically. Contrary to popular belief, Colombian Costeño food is NOT like chipotle/every other “Mexican” restaurant you’ve been to. Like most other PCVs around the world, I spend most of my free time daydreaming about food I could be eating at home. I’ve traveled a lot, but it’s only after being here for six months that I realized something big. There are many places in the world with food cultures that are less diverse than in the US. At home you can have food from a different culture every day of the week. I can eat Thai pad Thai on Sunday, Korean BBQ on Monday, Jamaican jerk chicken on Tuesday, and so on. Access to such a diverse supply of food was something that I took for granted. Here on the coast people eat variations of the same food every day. Some things are different. Sunday you may have fried fish with arroz de coco (which is amazing btw), and Wednesday you may have baked chicken with white rice. But it’s all basically the same thing. I really miss being able to eat completely different foods whenever I feel like it. I don’t mind eating costeño food but sometimes I just really want something new. Like my study abroad semester in Rwanda, I have less access to processed foods. As a result I can’t eat half as badly as here as I did in the US, even if I wanted to. Now my junk food binges consist of eating a jar of peanut butter in a week (and paying and arm and a leg for it at the supermarket) or drinking two 600 mL (which is small) in a day. I’m living on the edge, I know lol. To my benefit this change in diet, along with an increase in veggie/fruit/water consumption, has caused me to lose around 30 lbs.
Tolerance of Small Children
Anyone who knows me knows that I’m not really a “kid person”. There are some people in this world that are blessed with the personality to tolerate kids for long periods of time. I have never been one of those people. I like my space, I don’t like people touching me, and I am far from a patient person. These are qualities that do not equate to being a kid person. However after working in my school for 3 months my students have started to grow on me. I work with sixth and seventh graders who are probably the rowdiest kids in the school. But I honestly enjoy working with them, and look forward to getting to know them all better. I get really excited when I’m walking around the school or my community and a kid shouts “Amanda!”(or whatever random English phrase they’ve memorized) while waving energetically. I still wouldn’t call myself a kid person but I’m definitely getting there.
Admitting That I Don’t Know Something
I’m one of those people who hate admitting that they don’t know something. This, coupled with my extreme confidence in things I do know, has caused people to call me arrogant (which I think is absolutely hilarious. Would I be called arrogant if I were a man? Or just confident?). It is almost impossible for me to be like that here. With constant language miscommunications I’ve had to admit when I don’t know what’s going on. When I first got here I would nod my head a lot and say “si” (yes), even when I didn’t understand, with the hope that everything would turn out ok. This was usually coupled with the blank stare that is a dead giveaway that someone has no idea what you just said. Now I admit when I don’t understand (no entiendo) or don’t know (no se). It has helped me learn because people are always willing to rephrase what they said in another way.
Overall Tolerance of People
                Anyone who knows me knows that I do not like to be touched. I have never been a touchy person, and usually feel uncomfortable around people who are. I am a reserved, introverted, only child. This basically means that I really like my own space, I don’t mind being alone for long periods of time (I actually quite enjoy it), and I am extremely comfortable with silence. All of these very ingrained aspects of my personality have been tested while living here on the coast. I was fully aware before arriving in Barranquilla that costeño culture was not what I was used to. Costeños are said to be loud, touchy, and family oriented. When you walk into a room it is customary to do the hug/cheek kiss greeting—even with strangers. As someone who does not like to be touched it took a while to get over people invading my personal space. But now it’s second nature—almost (lol). In addition many families here on the coast live together forever. For example, I live with my host mom, her teenage son, her adult daughter and husband, and their two kids. Usually parents build on to their homes to help their extended family fit in. So, I live in the right section of my house with my host mom and brother, while everyone else lives on the left side.
                The thought of living with my family forever and ever makes me shudder. However living here has made me used to constantly being around people—and not just family either. The structure of the house makes it easy for people to come walking through the back, or through the front door (I promise the home is very secure though). Thankfully my lack of Spanish means that I’m not expected to do much more than say hello and maybe give a cheek kiss. My family is also really good about maintaining my privacy. If I am in my room with the door closed no one comes knocking, or opening my door to talk to me. However I think they assume I’m always sleeping if I’m in my room, which is kind of funny. Sometimes I just want time to myself to read or relax. Whenever I come out they exclaim “oh I thought you were sleeping!” Basically I’m more of a people person here in Colombia. Shocking right?

                I have now completed exactly one fourth of my service, and have 21 more months to go (not that I’m counting or anything lol). I look forward to what the rest of my service has in store for me, and am hoping for the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment